Changing all the locks around the house is not something that you would expect to do more than a couple of times in your lifetime. However, it is important. Usually, it is after moving or experiencing a break-in that people ask themselves “What should I do if I need to change all the locks in my house?” This is where a good locksmith will come in handy.
Things to Know Before Replacing Door Locks
The locks on your door play a huge role in the overall security of your home. As such, whenever you change your locks, you must do so correctly. Before you get started, here are a few things you need to know:
- There is a difference between replacing and rekeying. Even though both are ways of getting a new key, there is a specific scenario that requires one or the other.
- It is advisable to always rekey when you move.
- You should be quick to replace your locks at the first signs of damage or tampering.
- It’s also important to consider rekeying your locks to work with a single key, which is more convenient.
What Should I Do If I Need to Change All the Locks in My House?
When you need to change all the locks in your house, depending on the complexity of the job and your skill level, you can either do it yourself, or you can call in a professional locksmith.
What You’ll Need
If you decide that you are up to the task, and can change the locks in your house without jeopardizing your home security, you will need a few basic tools, such as:
- A screwdriver
- Measuring tape
- The new set of locks
Easy Step-by-step Process
With your supplies in hand, you will need to follow these simple steps:
- Carefully remove the old deadbolt lock and hardware
- Insert the new deadbolt and lock
- Repeat for all the doors that need their locks replaced
- Test all the new locks by locking and unlocking them a few times
When to Call in a Professional Locksmith
As much as you might feel capable of changing all the locks on your own, DIYing is not always the right solution. Some jobs may be too complex, or the required level of security may be too high for your skill level. You may also find that replacing your own locks may cost you in terms of insurance.
In such cases, it is best to call a professional, licensed, and reliable locksmith. A good locksmith can be very helpful when dealing with vintage locks, when you need a master key system, or if you simply want to ensure the job is done perfectly.
If you are worried about the cost of hiring a locksmith, you should stop and consider the cost of losing all your valuables in the event of a break-in.
Locksmith for NYC Is Ready to Help!
Finding the right locksmith is crucial when changing all the locks in your home. That is why you need to call Locksmith NYC and schedule an appointment.